Friday, March 5, 2010

War is hell. Let's get back to food.


The first time I had this, I thought it was blood soup. Now its an old favorite--its made from beets, potatoes, carrots and pork sparerib. I've had borsht, and who knows how they manage to make it sucky. Maybe its the beets--here they are like super sweet, red turnips.

I was also surprised by a little frittata, or quiche. So good! It's like Christmas, getting these little gifts one at a time. Here's some fresh fish from the street market:










Looks like they sell whatever they can catch. Here are some mackerel (which we had. Yum!), Jacks, some small perchy thing that was not recommended, and a beautiful, slender catfish. Elsewhere we saw some live lungfish-type things, freshwater snakehead fish and small mekong catfish.



I don't know what these things are. I thought they were called Mountain Apples, but everyone says they are plums. They do have a small stone in the middle, but they crunch like pears but less gritty. The taste varies from slightly sweet to slightly sour, and is pretty watery. I think maybe this was just a sub-par crop, but we bought them from the sweetest old lady.

Speaking of which, Jenny's parents are so amazingly good to me--I love them. They speak as much English as I speak Vietnamese, so we're making little notes for each other. I think its their mission to fatten me up like a blueberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment