Monday, March 15, 2010

Durian Surprise!


Durian surprise? How can you sneak up on someone with a fruit that can make you puke from a mile away?

Ok, so you either have the genes that make you love Durian or you have the ones that make you puke when you smell it. I really hoped I'd like durian--maybe I wanted to fit in, not be the pale tourist I really am. And I walked past a cut durian without fainting. So I did the bold thing and got a small tub of durian sorbet by Vinamilk ("Udderly Vietnamese!")

The good thing about durian ice cream is it doesn't smell. Actually, that makes it worse because your nose can't warn your mouth of the horrors to come. The taste: spiced corpse. But mercifully there is absolutely no after-taste, and after my taste buds committed hari kiri I was shocked to find myself taking another spoonful. So it's not so bad after all, but I wouldn't wish on anyone that first dreadful minute.

And here are some critters I found in the house tonight:

The gecko is as large as my thumb. So cute! The assassin bug came for a second visit, who knows how he got in. I barely saved it from Jenny's death kick. Oh why can't I have a buddhist girlfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment