Thursday, March 25, 2010

Afternoon Adventure


Today I took a long bike ride to a park I found on a map--a nice square of green with a blue lake. I always assume that these green areas are places left alone, but in Asia they are simply developed areas without buildings.

This one had plenty of sculpture things:

Including ones in the "soul-less commie" style:

There was some nature. Here's a squeeky chipmunk.

I love seeing Mickey out of his element.



The lake was very artificial, with the steep concrete banks that Asians seem to love and birds don't. This one was teeming with fish, but amazingly no herons or kingfishers. Very odd.


Also, like other parks, they had devices half playground-ride, half Crunch Gym, and half torture-device, many rusted shut.


This one looks exquisitely painful.

Again with the derelict, rusted mini-roller coasters

People mostly come in two sorts: the uniformed school kids kicking around a shuttle-cock, and surly, big-bellied folk playing some sort of bocci ball. No birds except the poor caged pets.

Anyway, I got the hell out of there and came back to my favorite park for some binocular photos.

Here I found another life-bird--the Vinous Bellied Starling--which always makes the day worthwhile. And a Brown Shrike, seen before in Cambodia. You may notice the slightly better photo quality--I discovered that my camera perfectly fits the eyepiece of my cheap compact binoculars, while my more expensive mid-range binoculars, bought for that purpose, kinda suck. With a lifetime warranty. If it doesn't work when its not broke, the warranty is superfluous.

No comments:

Post a Comment