Thursday, March 18, 2010

A is for Apple Snails.



They sure don't taste like apples. But they are yummy.


I sure as hell wouldn't order them from the menu, and I was pretty hesitant. But then I thought, "well, I eat squid, and that's a mollusk too." They mix up the snail meat into a meatball, maybe with some pork too, and then stuff the shell. This was an appetizer for Binh Xeo, the famous Vietnamese "pancake" with shrimp and squid, which you wrap in lettuce. So good I didn't have time to photograph it...sorry.

3 comments:

  1. What are the things sticking out of them? Bamboo straws? what do you need them for? Are they edible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are scallions, and their purpose is to pull out the meat. Good question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a far cry from the fried chicken of childhood

    ReplyDelete